Re: Yummy FATFREE Cabbage Soup and Sloppy Joes

Just made this delicious cabbage soup with recipes originating from this list
years ago, and I wanted to share.

Fat Free Cabbage Soup (a real comfort, rainy day weather food)

Dump all in a crock pot and cook for 8-9 hours:

1-2 Onions, diced
2 large jars or cans V-8 or tomato juice (I use the low salt kind)
3-4 cloves garlic, diced
1 large can tomatoes, cut (I like Trader Joe's)
1 can kidney beans (or other beans), with juice (Eden's has the lowest sodium
content I've seen)
2-3 peeled potatoes, chunked
2-3 carrots, chopped
1/2 juice of lemon
Several shakes of no-salt seasoning (TJ's has a great one called "21")

Add any other vegetables you would like or have on hand, then...add shredded
cabbage (as much as will fit) about an hour before cooking ends.  The cabbage
cooks quickly.

One recipe called for brown sugar but doesn't need.

Enjoy with warm bread.

Holly, hope you found the Sloppy Joe recipe but if not, just cook the
following in large pan:  1 chopped red and 1 green bell pepper, 1 onion, 1/2
cup BBQ sauce,tomato paste or sauce and tvp (textured vegetable protein) or
"Gimme Lean" or other meat substitute.  Great on fresh buns!  Freezes well,
too.

To healthy eating,
Susan