Beans, beans!

I am sure we can all agree that a little knowledge IS a
dangerous
thing, and that is what I am offering.

Sometime back I read where beans that are old (shop old or
home
shelf old) do not ever cook as well as newer beans.  I had
the experience of trying to cook a batch for chili and they
never got tender enough to
eat, despite my pre-soaking, following the cooking rules,
etc.  There
are still jokes made here about my Bullet Beans!  Now,
because I tend to
use canned beans a lot, sometimes my dry stock does get
old.  So if
this occurs with old beans, it would certainly effect
sprouting, wouldn't
it?

I'm interested to hear what others have to say about this,
but this is
my learning/experience.

Jo in Minnesota