bread pudding

Just a few days ago I made a bread pudding recipe that turned out pretty well.  Here's the modified version as I cooked it:

Bread Pudding
4 slices white bread (21/2 to 3 cups worth when cubed)
1/2 cup raisins
EnerG egg sub to equal 2 eggs
1/3 cup sugar (recipe called for brown sugar)
pinch salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 1/4 cups warm skim milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp sugar

Preheat oven 325F.
Toast the bread and slice into cubes.  Spray an 8" square pan and arrange the bread in the pan, sprinkling the raisins on top.
In a  small bowl, mix the EnerG according to directions.  Add the spices, vanilla, 1/3 cup sugar and milk, stirring to combine.  Pour over the bread and let stand for 30 minutes, pressing down occasionally on the bread to absorb the liquid.  Sprinkle with 1 tsp sugar, then bake 50-60 minutes until golden brown and puffed up.
Serve warm or cold.

Variations:  Use chopped apricots instead of raisins.
Spread the bread with jam before cutting.
Add the grated zest of an orange to the liquid.

Sharon McCleave BSc(Hons)Ost.
Reg'd Osteopath

Ontario Osteopathic and Rehabilitation Centre