Emily's Cabbage Salad

>... what I would love to hear about are all your
>summer favourites (for those of us downunder).  I just need some good
nutritious
>vegan recipes that don't require cooking/heat.

Hi, Phil -

This is my favorite FatFree summer recipe received in 1998. I have found
that I can make enough for several days and refresh it daily with a little
more lemon juice. I add a pinch of sugar initially and have not yet used
the garlic. (Warning:  It needs good summer tomatoes--hothouse tomatoes
don't work well.)

The original post is copied below.

With continued thanks to whoever sent it,

Bette

--------------------------------------

Emily's Cabbage Salad

1 small head of cabbage (l/2 if large) very finely shredded*
1 or 2 tomatoes  diced
1 lemon (juice only)
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper to taste

After you have prepared the ingredients above, then take your clove of
garlic and split it in half.  Rub the inside of the serving bowl with the
cut side of the garlic to coat the bowl with its essence.  Now place the
salad ingredients into the bowl and pour the lemon juice over them.  Add
salt and pepper and toss to mix.

*Finely shredding the cabbage is the secret to this recipe.

Notes of interest:  In Costa Rica you never have lettuce salads, or
shredded lettuce with your tacos, because it will not grow there.  Our
typical dinner consisted of black beans over rice, homemade corn tortillas,
the above salad, and mangos on the side.  (Though this is not recommended
on the list, sometimes when she had one, Emily would dice an avocado into
it for a treat.)