vegetarian diet for weight loss request

>Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 14:21:47 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Pearla Marquez <pearla-m@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: vegetarian diet
>
>Hi!  I am a dedicated vegetarian, but I am interested
>in losing weight.  Does anyone know of any vegetarian
>weight-loss diets that would help me out?  Thanks a
>bunch!

I recommend the "McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss."  The book
can be found in most libraries and bookstores.  I've lost 80 pounds
since Thanksgiving using this program.  I don't always follow it
faithfully; sometimes I substitute whole grain bread for whole grains,
and I admit I haven't completely eliminated high-fat foods from my diet.
However, the more closely you follow it, the faster you'll lose.  The
main points are: to eat foods as close to the way they came out of the
ground as possible, to eliminate high fat foods (nuts, seeds, olives,
avocado, etc) and added fats and oils, to limit fruit to two servings
per day and to keep the sugar quantity low.  Get most of your calories
from veggies, whole grains, beans and then fruit.  It is extreme but it
does work.  And after about a month, you'll be surprised how much you'll
enjoy eating this way most of the time.  It worked for me because you
can eat whenever you are hungry and you don't have to count calories.
Good luck.

Susan

susan.swierkowski@xxxxxxxxx