Food for kids

Barbara wrote:

> I am looking for some good sources of recipes for children - in
particular
> cakes and cookies - that have moderate amounts of sugar and fat and are
> generally more nutritious than what I have seen.  Maybe some fruity
things
> with no refined sugar?  Vegan dessert recipes?  Some of the recipes I use
> for desserts from this list have more sugar than I would like for a
child.
> Any book or website recommendations?  I just made a traditional SAD
birthday
> cake, and the ingredients were frightening!!!

I have a book called "Secrets of Fatfree Baking", can't remember the author
but it has some really nice cakes and cookies in it. I make the carrot cake
regularly and it is always a hit with my 2-year-old (and my DH, I might
add). There are also some
terrific chocolate zucchini muffins, originally posted by Aiko, which I'm
sure you can find in the archives. If you can't, let
me know and I'll send it to you. They use refined sugar, and the book uses
egg whites, but you can substitute maple syrup
(or honey if your veganism isn't that strict) or even apple sauce.

Another favourite, although not FF and certainly not vegan, book I use a
lot is Rose Eliot's "Vegetarian Mother & Baby Book". I'm sure you could
adapt some of the recipes there.

Be well, Hadass

Dr. Hadass Eviatar (XX)				mailto:eviatar@xxxxxxxxxx
National Research Council of Canada		Phone: (204) 984 - 4535
Institute for Biodiagnostics			Fax:     (204) 984 - 7036
435 Ellice Avenue, Winnipeg, MB, R3B 1Y6	http://www.ibd.nrc.ca/~eviatar
  -- Guard your tongue from evil, and your lips from speaking deceit  --
Psalm 32