Vegemite and MWL

 Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 12:21:05 EDT
> From: BHATPHOACC <BHATPHOACC@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Apple Oat-Bran Muffins
>

> A question:  Can marmite or vegemite be purchased in the United States?
>
> Barbara in FL

This is my first posting after being on the list for quite some time.  Let me
first just say that I've truly enjoyed reading about the nutritional facts and
of course have made and loved many of the posted recipes.  In response to
Barbara's question...Yes vegemite can be purchased here in the US.  You may wan
to look in a Natural Foods Grocery Store or any Health Food Store, but I'm
guessing that bigger stores would be more likely to carry it.  I've never tried
it, how does it taste?

> Could some kind soul give me the "Readers Digest" condensed version of the
> McDougall MWL diet?  I know we don't eat breads and pasta, but I never eat
> those anyway (intollerant of them).
>
> PLEASE HELP ME QUICK!
>
> Thanking you in advance,
> Lynda

Lynda,

>From my understanding, McDougall's MWL diet is geared toward eating WHOLE food
and not consuming any meat or dairy products.  You can eat all the vegetables
you want but focus on a variety, i.e. mix reds, yellows, oranges, and dark leaf
greens.  He discusses when cooking not using salt or oil and shows how to cook
with alternatives such as sauteeing in vegetable broth.  I've found alternative
to salt like using ginger on steamed veggies and such.  You are not supposed to
eat any processed foods at all,i.e. no bread, no wheat, no crackers etc.  Just
stick to whole grains such as oats, brown rice, bulgur, barley etc.  He cuts
sugar out all together except for allowing 2 servings of fruits per day. I don'
have the book with me right now, but I hope this helps a little.  Please check
his homepage to give you the benefits of his diet programs,
http://spas.miningco.com/msub1.htm.  The main point to remember is to stick to
eating whole foods, eliminating fat, sugar, and oil.  I lost 20 pounds in just
few months using his MWL diet as a guide but also incorporating a great workout
plan with 5 days of 45min-1hr of cardio and 4 days of weight training. Weight
Training REALLY helps take off the weight.  I hope this helps.

Renee in NC