Outrageous Two-Night Orzo

Here's another recipe - we really enjoy this recipe a lot.

Outrageous Two-Night Orzo

Serves Two hungry people for two nights in a row (or four people for one
night)

One 16-ounce bag (or 2 cups) orzo, preferably tricolor vegetable orzo
1-1/2 ounces seasoned vegetarian "sausage," sliced
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 to 3 large carrots, chopped very fine
1/2 to 1 large red onion, chopped
1/2 large leek, chopped
1/4 red cabbage, chopoped or shredded
1 green zucchini or yellow squash, diced
1 bulb garlic, minced
1 28-ounce can diced or stewed tomatoes, plain or Italian-style
1/2 to 1 Tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp fennel seed
1 Tbsp Oregano
1 Tbsp Basil
Dash cayenne
Black pepper and salt, to taste

Night Two:
1 15-ounce can pinto beans
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes

Optional: Lowfat mozzarella cheese, one cup grated

In a large pan, "saute" sauge and garlic. Then add two or three of the
vegetables at a time, until each "set" is softened, but not mushy. Add more
water if necessary to prevent sticking. Add tomatoes and stir until heated
through. Add spices. Add orzo. Pour water into the pan until orzo is
completely covered and stir until all orzo is submerged (there should be about
1/4 inch of water above the orzo). Bring just to a boil on high heat, then
simmer covered on low heat, about fifteen minutes, stirring occasionally,
until orzo is soft. Serve in large bowls.

The second night, to make a second dinner with different tastes and textures,
add tomatoes and beans to the leftovers and reheat.

You can top with grated cheese both times, if desired.

I used mushrooms instead of carrots since I was out of carrots.

Enjoy!

Zoe in Santa Cruz