Re: jalapeno peppers

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, <HollyTline@xxxxxxx> wrote
>Does anyone out there have some SIMPLE suggestions for
>what to do with copious amounts of jalapeno peppers?

Hello- I believe capsicum peppers add more flavor punch per
calorie than anything else. You can clean and chop and freeze
some in air-tight containers to pull out for sauces later on.
Or here is a pickled pepper recipe. Decorate the jars and put
your own label on them for unique holiday gifts.
Using fresh Jalapeno peppers, blanch peppers for 3 minutes in
boiling water. To prevent collapsing, puncture each pepper.
Add the following ingredients to a pint jar packed with the
blanched peppers before cooling occurs.

1/4 medium-sized garlic clove
1/4 teaspoon of onion flakes
1 small or medium bay leaf
1/8 teaspoon of ground oregano
1/8 teaspoon of thyme leaf (not seed)
1/8 teaspoon of marjoram
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil (olive, refined sesame, corn)

Cover with boiling brine solution prepared as follows:
Mix together:
3 tablespoons sugar
9 tablespoons salt
2 pints water
2 pints vinegar (5 percent)

Close the containers and process 10 minutes in boiling water,
then cool. Note: Jalapenos must be hot when brine solution is
added. The addition of carrot slices adds color to the product.

"Eat leeks in tide and garlic in May, and all the year after,
physicians may play." - proverb