Groats vs. Kasha: Jane Brody's definition

a poster wrote:

<<First, some basic definitions.

A groat is a raw, unprocessed whole grain.

A kasha is a cracked, raw, grain.>>

Re the first definition:  "A groat is a raw, unprocessed whole grain:"

According to Jane Brody in her "Good Food Book:" "stripped of its hard
outer shell, the buckwheat seed is called a groat."

So, raw and whole, yes .. but not completely unprocessed

<<A kasha is a cracked, raw, grain.>>

Kasha is a specific food source (roasted buckwheat groats), not a generic
dish like a pilaf or a souffle as "a" kasha implies.  Kasha can be whole or
cracked to a coarse, medium or fine consistency.  It is roasted, not raw.
Unless I am mistaken (along with numerous authors I've read in 25 years),
kasha would not be rye or triticale, for example .. the name refers
specifically to roasted buckwheat groats, not just any grain.

 From Jane Brody's "Good Food Book:"

"Stripped of its hard outer shell, the buckwheat seed is called a groat.
Buckwheat groats have a distinctive flavor some people describe as nutlike.
But whatever you may call it, they cook up into a flavorful pilaf or
porridge and make an excellent stuffing base..."    " Unroasted buckwheat
groats are more commonly used for porridge.  Roasting brings out the flavor
of the kernels, darkens them, and also gives them a new name: kasha."

She goes on later: "Roasted groats are eaten whole or cracked into coarse,
medium or fine kasha."    She then describes what whole, coarse, medium and
fine kasha might be used for and continues on to describe buckwheat grits,
which are  approximately the consistency of Wheatena cereal.

RE:  <<I've grown fond of buying the toasted groats>>

By now it is clear that is kasha you've grown fond of buying.

In summary,according to Jane Brody, kasha is roasted buckwheat groats (the
raw buckwheat kernel stripped of its hard outer shell), used either whole
or cracked to a coarse, medium or fine consistency.

Katja