Baingan Bharta <T>

I cut this out of the paper and tried it last night.  Yummy!  My
notes are in {}.

This recipe comes from the Tandoor India restaurant in Cincinnati,
Ohio.  Owner Naren Patel shares it.  {Note: recipe modified to remove
oil}

Baingan Bharta

1 large eggplant
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (1 1/2 inch) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1/4 Tablespoon turmeric
1 green chili pepper, chopped {I used 1 dried red chili}
1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Place eggplant in pan, cover with
foil.  Roast 20-30 minutes or until eggplant is soft.  {I cut mine in
half, put water in the bottom of the pan and put in a 375 oven for
45 mins}  After eggplant cools, peel and chop coarsely.  Set
aside.

Place onion, ginger, and garlic in blender or food processor with 3
Tablespoons water.  Puree to paste.  Heat a {non-stick} pan over
medium heat and add pureed mixture, along with tumeric.  Saute,
stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.  When it begins to turn brown,
add diced chili and 1 Tablespoon cilantro.  Saute another minute and
add chopped tomatoes.

Lower heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add chopped
eggplant, raise heat to medium and simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring
occasionally.  Season with salt, lemon juice, coriander and cumin;
simmer another 5 minutes.

Sprinkle with remaining chopped cilantro and serve with rice.  Makes
6-8 servings.

Enjoy!

Donna
hdf@xxxxxxxxx