yogurt

I had a Salton yogurt maker (like the Donvier) which worked like a charm
but died after 40 years of  weekly use. At that rate, the cost is next to
nothing. I still make yogurt  and use the jars but my husband rigged up a
little container with a light bulb for heat that keeps the yogurt at the
right temperature. I use Dannon plain yogurt for starter. Since Dannon
yogurt is not cheap I divide it into thoroughly washed film canisters and
freeze. One film canister is enough starter for a batch. I use dried skim
milk powder, two cups powder for 4 cups water. The extra milk powder gives
it the thicker quality of high fat yogurt.  I use hot tap water without
boiling it first.

On one of his shows a long time ago the  Frugal Gourmet made yogurt a
gallon at a time. He heats milk (he used whole milk, I believe, though of
course skim milk could be substituted) to 180 F, lets it cool to 115 F and
adds starter (about a cup).  Then he pours it into quart jars, places the
jars in a large canning size pot. He pours water at 115 F into the pot up
to the neck of the quart jars. He covers the pot and puts the pot overnight
on a heating pad set at medium. He also wraps a towel around the pot to
hold in the heat.

The Frugal Gourmet makes yogurt cheese by straining yogurt in a muslin bag.
Since I make yogurt in the small jars, I use a gold filter (left over from
a coffee maker that died)  to make yogurt cheese.

The Frugal Gourmet makes a confections out of yogurt cheese, sugar, cocoa,
and vanilla, which he says can also be used as a frosting. I've never tried
it.

Hope that helps. I love mixing a container of yogurt, a banana, and any
other kind of fruit or orange juice and blending till smooth. In fact, it's
lunchtime and I think I'll make it.

Eva

   Charles and Eva Deck
   2805 Trenton Drive