keeping fresh ginger

When I buy fresh ginger I buy a huge piece, peel and mince it then spread it out on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment and freeze it. When it's frozen solid I take it off the sheet, whack it with a rolling pin and it breaks into pieces. I put the pieces in a ziploc bag in the freezer, then when I want to use some I choose a piece about the size that I need for the recipe.

Dianne