flax seed/ ginger

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997 RubyTues59@xxxxxxx wrote:

Regarding flax seed gloop egg replacer:
>I would think the oil would be what was cooking out of the seeds to make
>the gloop 'gloopy' in the first place.  Anybody know for sure?

I don't know this for sure, but chemically I doubt that this is
happening.  When you try to mix oil and water, they separate.  It's
possible that there's something in the flax seed to get the oil and water
to mix (an emulsifier), but if the seeds still feel oily I don't think
this is happening.  But, like I said, this is just an educated guess from
a grad student with minimal chemical knowledge.

AND:
> I forgot I had another question.  Someone on this list a while ago posted in
> response to those of us who avoid buying fresh ginger because so much of it
> goes to waste.  She (Susan?) said you can plant the leftover root in a
> convenient indoor pot and it will grow again and the process can be repeated
> indefinitely.

I did plant my ginger, but I haven't harvested any yet.  Someone else
originally posted the idea, and I don't know how long they let it grow.
I did get mine to grow--I just haven't felt like digging it up yet.  The
ginger grows quite quickly and is pretty tall.  I snipped off two of the
taller, more out-of-control shoots and they had a great ginger odor.
The only trick to planting the ginger is to plant it very shallowly.  I
planted deep the first time and didn't get any shoots.  The second time I
tried it, I just barely covered the ginger root with dirt.  I got shoots
almost immediately.  Look at your ginger before you buy it--you can
usually see the little budding knobs which will turn into shoots.

Speaking of ginger, I recently got a little white ginger grater from
William Sonoma, and I love it!  I didn't respond during the kitchen
gadget listing, but my list was pretty much like Aiko's.  The ginger
grater is the best way I've found to deal with ginger.  No more chopping
or worrying about the strings.

Susan Lehman
UNC-CH