One of my favorite cookbooks is Bean Banquets from Boston to Bombay by
Patricia Gregory, Woodbridge Press, 1984. It doesn't take too much modifying
to make most of the recipes fat-free as most of the oil is used for sauting.
I was searching for something for dinner and came across one of my favorites.
I have made this dish many, many times and still love it!
Rajma (Curried Kidney Beans)
1/2 lb dried kidney beans, soaked overnight or 2 cans kidney beans+ juice
1/4 cup vegt broth
1 onion, chopped
1 green chile, chopped
1 tb minced fresh ginger
1 large clove garlic, minced
one 2-inch stick cinnamon, broken in half
2 whole cloves
1 tb ground coriander
2 whole cardamom pods or 1 tsp ground
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup peeled and diced ripe tomatoes
a few sprigs cilantro (coriander leaves), chopped
1/4 cup plain yogurt ( I use soy yogurt)
salt to taste
1. If using dried beans, cook until tender.
2. In a large saucepan, heat vegt broth and saute onion, chile, ginger,
garlic, cinnamon stick, cloves, and cardamom pods until the onion is soft.
3. Add ground coriander, turmeric and cumin and continue to cook and stir for
4 to 5 minutes. Add tomato and cook and stir until mixture becomes a paste.
4. Add beans and their broth and stir. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer
for a few minutes.
5. Before serving, stir in cilantro.
ix the yogurt with a tb of the gravy and mix into the curry. Add salt to
Serve over long grain brown rice.