Spicy Chili Beans

Hi Bob:

Here is a soup/chili recipe that you may be able to use at the soup
kitchen. The recipe says it serves 8, but every time I make it the recipe
serves 10-12. For your large group, just quadruple the recipe.

I got this recipe off the internet several years ago (long before the Web
was as popular as it is today, and definitely pre-browser days), but I
don't remember the original source. I had the orignial posting information
on a disk that was corrupted last year (thank goodness I had sent a copy of
the recipe to a friend). Anyway, this chili is a great hit every time I
prepare it, and to the person who developed the recipe I send my thanks!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bethann

Spicy Chili Beans

3 cups dry beans (I use a mixture of black, kidney, and pinto beans)
5-6 cups water
3 onions, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped (red bell pepper is good, also)
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 cup tomato sauce
1 15-16 oz. can stewed tomatoes (or add more chopped fresh tomatoes)
4 Tbsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper (I usually double this)
1/8 tsp. cayenne
Salt to taste

Rinse and sort beans. Place the beans and water in a large pot. Bring to a
boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 hours (be sure to stir
occasionally to keep the beans from sticking to the bottom of the pan). If
you prefer, soak the beans overnight instead of simmering. Drain the beans
and rinse well. Return the beans to the pot and add 3-4 cups of water
(depending on how soupy you want the chili to be). Add the remaining
ingredients and cook an additional 2 hours.

Notes:
1. This chili freezes well, so I always tuck some away in the freezer for
busy days.
2. If you prepare the chili in a crockpot, just double the simmering and
cooking times.
3. This chili is great over brown rice or a baked potato.

Bethann Dennis Watson     ~    Technical Editor      ~    Cisco Systems, Inc.

Genius is nothing but a greater aptitude for patience.
          -Georges Louis Leclerc de Buffon