Re: lowly rutabagas

There aren't too many recipes for these under rated vegetables. when I was a
kid my mom made us eat canned rutabagas.  Ugh, they tasted horrible! As an
adult I became curious and actually tried a fresh one. Gee, they didn't even
taste like the same thing!  I found a few recipes  and have adapted them. I
haven't tried any of these so let me know how they work.

Gratin of Rutabaga with Fresh Rosemary adapted from The Essential Root
Vegetable Cookbook by Sally & Martin Stone

1 lb rutabaga, peeled, cut in half and sliced very thin
2 Tb WW pastry flour
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary or 3/4 tsp dried
1 cup FF parmesan
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 cup plain yogurt or rice milk or oat milk or yogurt cheese*
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 tsp minced garlic

Steam sliced rutabaga in a steamer basket in a covered pot for 3-4 minutes.
Dain, cool and pat dry.
Preheat oven to 375o.
Lightly spray 1-1/2 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange 1/3 of the
rutabaga slices over the bottom and sprinkle with 1 tb of the flour, 1/2 tsp
of the rosemary, 1/3 cup of the parmesan, and salt & pepper to taste. Do
another layer like this and then arrange the last 1/3 of the slices on top
and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
In a small pan, combine the yogurt, veggie broth, and garlic. Heat over
medium and bring just to a boil. Pour over the rutabaga layers and sprinkle
the top with the remaining Parmesan. Cover with foil and bake in the prehated
oven for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 20 more minutes or until the
top is borwn. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

* The original recipe called for heavy cream, so you might have to add a
little extra flour if using a liquid that is not as thick as the cream.

Rutabaga Supreme
adapted from A World of Vegetables by Alex D. Hawkes (He also wrote a
definative book on orchids)

6 cups diced rutabagas
2 cups diced potatoes
1 veggie bouillon cube
salt to taste
1 tb succanat or fructose
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup grated FF sharp cheese (if  there is such a thing- or else cheddar
style)
2 tb minced onion
chopped fresh parsley

Combine rutabaga, potatoes, bouillon cube, salt and sugar in a saucepan.
Bring to a boil and boil for 4 minutes uncovered. cover and then boil for 10
to 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Mash, or blend with
electric mixer or food processor. Add pepper, cheese, and onion. Beat until
fluffly. Garnish with parsley and serve while very hot.
Serves 6.

Rutabaga in Veggie Broth

1 rutabaga, peeled and diced
veggie broth to cover
salt & pepper to taste
Cook together in a large pot until tender.

Let me know if these work out I do have a few more recipes.

Jan Bennicoff

"Talent develops in quiet places, character in the current of human life."
Goethe