Cajun Skillet Bean Casserole

Everybody has got to try this recipe.  It is my new favorite meal.  It's
excellent for impressing SAD eaters.

Cajun Skillet Bean Casserole

1 chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 celery stalk, chopped (optional-My husband doesn't like it.  I do.)
2 green bell peppers
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 pinch cayenne (optional-I don't like it.  My husband does!)
1 pinch sea salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 can whole, peeled tomatoes, chopped including juice
1 Tbls sugar
1 Tbls dijon mustard (Must use DIJON mustard)
1.5 to 2 cups cooked black-eyed peas
1 lg head garlic, horizontally split in half
4 med potatoes
soy milk (or skim milk or whatever)
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Preheat oven 350. I always drizzle garlic with a tiny bit of oil to
keep it from burning.  I know this is a no-no for this list, but it
such a small amount it's like using cooking spray. Cover tightly
with foil and bake 30-40 min. Let cool until easy to handle (can
be done a day before). Squeeze out garlic. This is your flavor and
butter substitute.

Cover potatoes with water (peeled and chopped--however many
potatoes you'd like) and bring to a boil. Cook 20-30 mins until fork
tender. Drain, reserving water. Mash potatoes with soy milk and garlic,
adding enough potato water back in to bring it to desired consistency.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

Sautee onions and garlic until soft, then do the same with the celery
and
bell peppers.  Add the spices and cook until the onions are golden.  Add

all other ingredients except the peas and simmer for 5 minutes, covered.

Add the peas and cook until the peas are heated.

Pour your bean mixture in the bottom of a bread loaf pan. Spoon mashed
potatoes on top.
Bake at 400 deg for 15 minutes.

This is my favorite meal.  You can make the beans and potatoes
separately if you like.
I just happened to make these two together one day.  When the juices
mingled I was
in heaven, so I decided to make a casserole out of it.