cochineal

    Cochineal is an insect?  Here in the Southwest, I've always known
it the white stuff that accumulates on cacti, especioally those with
flat pads. Kids scrape it off, put it in their hands, and clap,
because it turns them a vibrant red color on impact.  I always asume
it was a fungus or something.  Thanks for the warning.
    I do know that carmine coloring is derived from beetles.  I
really liked the Ocean Spray ruby red and tangerine juice untill I
read the ingredients (I always expected carmine to be in brown things
before that). Yech!
Amy D. Ruzycki-Shinabarger        "Practice, practice makes perfect,
alias@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                perfect is a fault
                                   and fault lines change."
                                                 -REM