Jenny's Squash

Jenny wrote:

>Now I'm not sure
>what they are or what to do with them.  They are round and kind of flat, 3-4
>inches in diameter, about 2 inshes tall, sort of pale green, and have scalloped
>edges around the top, and are smaller around the bottom than around the top.

Oh, Jenny, you lucky thing!  You have some Pattypan Squashes.  I love them!
You can cook them (or not--they're good raw, too) the same way you can any
other summer squash, like zucchini or yellow crook-neck, but they're firmer
in texture.  They have a very mild flavor and never get squishy like
zucchini when cooked.  I like to saute them in a bit of vegetable boullion
or in a dry nonstick skillet or to marinate them in balsamic vinegar with a
couple of drops of liquid smoke and add them to a salad.  I'm going to raise
lots of them in my garden this year (I hope).  Enjoy!

Jane

     Jane Smith
     mjsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     Special Collections, Pickler Memorial Library
     Truman State University (formerly NMSU)
     Kirksville, Missouri  USA