Tortilla Black Bean Casserole

As requested, I am posting a recipe that was originally posted in August
1996. I'm sorry I don't know the originator.  My family has been enjoying
it often since then - it is really terrific!

Tortilla Black Bean Casserole

In a skillet:

2 cups chopped onion (or to taste)
1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1   14 1/2 oz can tomatoes, cut up
3/4 cup picante sauce
2 tsp ground cumin

2   15 oz cans black beans or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
12   6 inch corn tortillas
8 oz shredded fat free cheese (I use cheddar)
2 medium tomatoes, chopped (optional)
2 cups shredded lettuce (optional)
1 cup fatfree sour cream (optional)

Saute the onion,pepper, garlic, tomatoes, picante and cumin until lightly
cooked. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in beans.

In a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan (I find smaller works OK, too): Spread 1/3 of the
bean mixture over the bottom. Top with 1/2 the tortillas, overlap as
necessary, and 1/2 the cheese.  Add another 1/3 of the bean mixture, then
remaining tortillas and bean mixture.  Cover and bake at 350 for 30-35
minutes.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese.  We pass the chopped fresh
tomatoes, lettuce, and ff sour cream at the table for individual toppings.

Makes six delicious servings.

--
  Susan M. Staecker                     staecker@xxxxxxxxxx
  MIT Lincoln Laboratory                tel. 617-981-4164