RE: Flea Street Cafe

>Does anyone know of any good restaurants in SF and LA which serve lf veg
>meals, but also meat (for my SO)?
>Along those lines, has anyone ever heard of Flea Street Cafe (I think
>that's what it's called.)?

Michelle,

Here is what the Palo Alto Weekly had to say about Flea St. Cafe:

*******
Flea St. Cafe, 3607 Alameda de las Pulgas, Menlo Park, (415)854-1226

This totally organic, gourmet kitchen turns out some of the best food on
the Peninsula. From tender scallops with
enoki and shiitake mushrooms dotted with tiny purple flowers to grilled
salmon and mashed potatoes, everything is
lovingly prepared and presented picture perfect. California-style fresh
takes shape with hints of ethnic cuisines and
specials change nightly. Vegetarians will find sumptuous offerings, as will
 those who love chicken or fish. Salads are
made with the most delicate greens, sauces are light and bursting with
flavor, fish is ocean-fresh and desserts too
good to pass up. Open for lunch Tues.-Fri. from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. and
dinner Tues. to Sun. 5:30-9:30 p.m. Brunch
is served weekends from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Reviewed July 12, 1992)
*******

Personally, I went there after reading the reviews with high expectations.
However, when I got there,
I found it just wasn't my kind of place. It's a small restaurant, almost
like a Victorian house, with
doilies (spelling?) and everything.  That's fine, but the food was pretty
expensive.  When I got it, the
portions were pretty small, so I was disappointed. I went last year and got
 some sort of polenta and a salad.
The polenta had a big dollop of butter or something on top. I should have
known better and asked ahead of
time, so it may be partially my fault. Anyways, it was more like a bowl of
breakfast porridge in consistency.
I was expecting a firmer polenta with seasonings...  But, I've heard many
good things about this place, so
your 'mileage may vary'. I'm more of an ethnic food aficionado, though, so
that may be part of the problem.

There are many other healthy places to eat in the area though! (So many,
that I can't think of one to highlight here!)

Try the Bay Area Dining Guide, for peer reviews of restaurants which are
sorted by city and type of food.
I look up restaurants there *all* the time.  It's at
http://www.sfbay.com/food.

Enjoy your visit to Northern and Southern California!

regards,

Kelly Carney