Tortilla/Taco Shell (bowl) pan

<<"Tocal Taco Tool - Tortilla maker that uses 1/4 cup of fat free oil">>

This reminded me to tell you about something I just found this week and
LOVE.  I am hopelessly addicted to kitchen gadgets (yes, I know they're not
necessary but I have great fun with them) and always look at what's
available.  The other day I found something I'd never seen before, bought
it and it's perfect for FF eaters.

It's a set of 2 non-stick (brioche-like) pans, available in 2 sizes, shaped
and sized perfectly to make tortilla bowl-shaped shells .. complete with
wavy sides like in a restaurant.  The sizes are for 6" snack-size flour
tortillas (for under $8./2 pans), and one for 9" flour tortillas (under
$9./2 pans).  I had recently been eyeing packages of these shells
commercially available but they are, of course, fried .. and very
expensive.  These bake FF in 7-10 minutes, then cool for 5+.  I bought both
sizes (okay, so I collect pans ;)) but one size would work for most sizes
of tortillas .. just depends on which diameter of "bottom" you prefer.

They can be made ahead and kept fresh in a plastic bag.  I've been enjoying
them with FF refried beans, Spanish rice, chiles, salsa and a bit of ff
cheese (quick cuz I make enough for leftovers).  Feels so decadent to eat
from this thing, for some reason ... really love it.  It also works for me
as a chip and dip dish because you can eat the bowl and it limits the
amount of chips I would otherwise eat.  After the first time finding how
delicious the bottom with beans on it is, I now spread the beans up the
sides, too, so that after I've eaten the filling, eating the bowl is a
wonderful treat, too.

I found them at Fedco in Los Angeles on La Cienega in the kitchen gadgets
area.  The co. is Chicago Metallic, 800 Ela Road, Lake Zurich, IL
60047-2390.

This idea should also work with a bowl-shaped jello mold or brioche pan ..
even nesting a second pan with the tortilla in between to keep the shape
(bake at 375 7-10 min.) .. or even just draping the tortilla over an upside
down bowl :). Can do that in the microwave very quickly, actually.  I just
love the perfection of the fit and wavy shape of these pans but they are
certainly not necessary to make baked tortilla shells.

Katja