Garbanzo Fritters and Pear Salsa <T>

I made this dish for a buffet I had just after Thanksgiving. The whole
buffet was vegetarian and very low fat.  All were avowed meat eaters and
loved everything!  I hope you enjoy these.  BTW, they also make good use
of those convenient cans of garbanozo beans you might have laying around
:-)

Garbanzo Fritters with Pear Salsa (From The Little Bean Cookbook by
Patricia Stapley)

Adapted to low-fat by Judy

1.5 cups cooked garbanzos, drained
1 t salt
1 medium Idaho potato
1 small onion, coarsely grated
1 T flour
2 t hot pepper sauce
3 egg whites, lightly beaten (see note )

Non-stick pan needed for these.

Chop the garbanzo beans coarsely and season with the salt.

	Peel and grate potato and squeeze out as much water as
possible.  In a medium bowl, combine the potato, onion, flour, and hot
pepper sauce. Mix well to blend.  Add garbanzo beans and egg whites
and mix.
       Heat a large non-stick skillet over low heat until it is very hot.
When it's hot, drop rounded tablespoons of the batter inot the skillet
allowing room for them to spread. Cook over moderately high heat
until they are golden brown on the bottom, about 4 minutes.  Turn
fritters over, flatten slightly and cook about two minutes longer.

Note 1:  Instead of Egg Whites, you can substitute EnerG Egg replacer
made up as three eggs. (It's potato starch and works great in a recipe
like this where the eggs are used more as a binder than as a flavor)

Note 2: If you are using a really good non-stick skillet, make sure the
skillet is  hot before putting the fritter batter in the pan.

Zesty Pear Salsa

2 Italian plum tomatoes
2 firm pears (preferably bosc) peeled, cored, and diced into 1/4 inch
pieces
1 T fresh lemon juice (use the fresh stuff for this recipe, not
bottled)
6 large scallions, chopped (I used the green parts only)
1 tablespoon jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1-2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar (I used basil vinegar)
1 t honey

Blanch the tomatoes in a medium saucepan with boiling water for
one minute. Rinse them under cold running water to cool, and slip the
skins off. Cut the tomatoes in half and scoop out the seeds. Slice
them into one-quarter inch julienne strips.
	In a medium bowl, toss the diced pears with the lemon juice.
Add the tomatoes, scallions, and jalapenos. Mix well.
	In another bowl, whisk together the vinegar and honey. Drizzle
over the pear mixture and toss to coat. Serve with a slotted spool to
allow most of the juice to drain off.

Serve the fritters with salsa on the side.