Diabetic dessert, Natalie

We recently had a baptisim party for my niece which I did all of the food
for. Since my mother was just one of the diabetics there I knew what tpye
of foods to make.
There was angel food cake of course, along with several different kinds of
cookies. The receipies for most of the are on the net at the diabetic site
so you probably found them. I have also found that the majority of items
you make are acceptable just use a sugar sub. The only items I have found
which really need the real sugar are sugar cookies, of course. And
browines. Other than that there are no real problems.
My favourite cake is the following:

Raspberry ripple cake (from "Secrets of Fatfree Baking)
3/4 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
1 tablespoon sugar (I use splenda a sugar substitute)
1/4 cup reduced fat margarine or butter
1-1/4 cups sugar (again I used a substitute)
3 egg whites
1 tspoon almond extract
2-1/4 cups unbleached flour
3/4 cups oat bran
1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/4 cups nonfat buttermilk (I use water)

Glaze (which I omit)
1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 teaspoon nonfat buttermilk
 1. Puree the raspberries and 1 tblsp of sugar. set aside.
2. Combine margine and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat till smooth.
   beat in egg whites and almond extract till smooth. In a seperate bowl
combine flour, oat bran and baking soda. Add flour mixture and the
buttermilk to the margarine mixture and beat till well mixed.

3. Remove 3/4 of a cup of batter and mix with the raspberry puree. set aside.

4. Coat a 12 cup bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. Spread 2/3 of the
batter evenly in the pan. Top with the raspberry batter and follow with the
remaining plain batter.

5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted
comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes. Then invert on to
a wire rack and cool to room temperature.

6. To make the glaze, combine the ingrediants and stir until smooth.
transfer the cake to a serving platter and drizzle the glaze over top. Let
sit for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving.

After I have baked it and the cake has cooled, I wrap it well and  freeze
it till its needed.
You could also use blueberries instead of raspberries.
Makes 16 servings.
Calories: 169
Fat: 2 g
Protein: 3.3 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 117 mg
Fiber: 1.6 g
Calcium: 29 mg
Potassium: 83mg
Iron 1.1 mg

Hope you try it,
	Vicky V.
	After losing the first 100 pounds, Why are the last 20 so impossible?