How to Smoke Food in a Wok

How to Smoke in a Wok

1/2 cup raw rice
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup tea leaves (bulk pekoe works fine)
2 sticks cinnamon
4 strips orange rind
2 star anise

Line a wok and lid with foil so it hangs over the
edges by 2 inches (make sure it's THOROUGHLY
covered with heavy-duty foil .. I'd use an
old wok or old cast iron dutch oven devoted
just to smoking (garage sale? :)) .. this
technique made my wok very sticky .. now
only used for smoking).  Put the rice, brown
sugar, tea, cinnamon, orange rind and anise
in the bottom.  Set a rack on top.  Put a
piece of foil on the rack and set the
____ on it.

OPEN YOUR WINDOWS and TURN ON YOUR FAN.
Turn the heat to high.  The sugar will begin
to melt in 5 minutes (but don't just walk away).
Set the lid on - the
foil will still be outside the pan-then bring
the foil up over the outside rim of the lid
to prevent steam from escaping.  Smoke for
15 minutes, then turn off the heat and leave
for another 5 minutes (I'm amending instructions
from elsewhere .. as I recall, I left the chiles
in quite a bit longer).

These are the smoking ingredients and technique for
tea-smoked chicken.  I have smoked chipotles
like this using just soaked wood chips .. or
just the rice and brown sugar, maybe some loose
tea.  Anything that smokes is the idea for the chiles,
unless you want them orange and anise flavored ;).

You can smoke anything you want this way, btw .. tofu,
seitan, etc.

Good luck,
Katja