Nutritional yeast flakes

Maybe this is a silly question, but what are nutritional yeast flakes?
South African health food stores have heard of them but don't have
stock and tell me that it is not available here.  I'm told the closest they
have is Brewer's Yeast.  I don't particularly like the taste of Brewer's
yeast so it doesn't appeal at all as a substitute.  Any suggestions for a
substitute?  I'm really keen to try some of the "Cheezey" recipes that
have been posted recently.

Thanks for all the great recipes and best wishes from a chilly overcast
South Africa.

Sandy