Recipe: pasta pesto with potatoes and string beans

I just made a pasta pesto last week using a pesto recipe
I sent in a few years ago. I use it a lot in the summer.

For the pasta preparation, I took a hint from a
cable tv food network show (Molto Mario) and served
them with potatoes and string beans. I know pasta and
potatoes sound weird but it was very good.

	PASTA WITH POTATOES AND STRING BEANS

	1 or 2 waxy potatoes (I used yukon gold, the red ones
		would be good too) use more if they are tiny

	large handful of fresh string beans, trimmed.

	1/2 lb dried pasta (spaghetti, linguini work fine
		spirals are probably good also.)

	pesto sauce (see recipe below)

	1. Cut the potatoes in pieces (about 1-inch cubes)
		(if they are tiny, just halve or quarter them)
	2. Boil potatoes until tender. Save water for blanching
		green beans and cooking pasta.

	3. Start preparing pesto.

	4. Cut string beans in 2 or 3 inch segments. Set up a
		bowl of very cold water to put the blanched
		string beans into. (It will preserve the
		bright green color)

	4. Put beans into boiling water from potatoes and wait
		10-20 seconds until they turn bright green.
		Remove from boiling water and put into cold
		water.

	5. Add water to the pot if necessary and bring to a boil
		and cook pasta then drain.

	6. Combine potatoes, string beans, pesto and pasta in
		a large frying pan and heat through.

	Serve.

	Note: This was very good as leftovers. (You can add cut
		up tomatoes, if you want.)

	Date:    Mon, 27 Sep 93 13:05:30 EDT
	From:    jayne@xxxxxxx (Jayne Spielman)

	Lowfat Pesto	(adapted from Vegetarian Times)

	2 cups		chopped fresh basil leaves
	1 cup		chopped flat leaf parsley
	1/4 cup		toasted breadcrumbs
	2 cloves	minced garlic
	3 Tbsp		light miso [paste]
	1/4 to 1/3 cup	water

	[2 Tbsp 	grated parmesan - optional]

	In food processor, combine everything except water. Pulse till
	finely minced. With machine running, slowly add water until
	reaches desired consistency.

	According to VT, serves 6
	Recipe as stated by VT (i.e. with Parmesan) has the following
	nutritional analysis

	Per serving: 53 Calories, 3g protein, 1g fat, 8g carb.,
	 2 mg chol, 2g fiber