carrot/raisin salad stories... :)

This is slightly off-topic, but I have to chuckle when I see the recipes
for carrot/raisin salad. If I were to try to serve that in my household,
my husband would disown me!

See, his grandmother used to be head cook at the summer camp where my
husband and his brother (and their father and _his_ brother) used to go to
camp.  And one of the foods that she introduced to the camp kitchen's
repertoire was carrot/raisin salad.  There is always one day during the
summer (which differs by age group, from what I understand) where all of
the campers from a given age group will go for a hike, and Dorothy used to
pack box lunches for all the kids on those days.  And, invariably, what
she would send with them was Carrot/Raisin Salad Sandwiches.  ANd it
apparently became a tradition at the camp.  My husband told stories of
having pretty much every camper in the group throw that sandwich off the
trail somewhere for the local fauna to snack on -- nobody would eat it
themselves.  One day when he told this story in front of his father, his
father started to chuckle -- apparently the campers did the exact same
thing when he was at camp!

So I would be taking my life in my hands serving that to anyone other than
my own family (who don't have such a family history) and my husband's
grandmother (who still loves the stuff, and can't figure out why everyone
else hates it!  One of the things she likes about me is that I love the
stuff, too... :)

Just had to get that off my chest...

Faith

--
Faith                      | "Censorship ends in logical completeness when
faith@xxxxxxxxx            | nobody is allowed to read any books except the