Spinach-Lentil Soup

Thanks Michelle for bringing us back together!

This is Dr. Zorba Pasteur's recipe from last Saturday's radio program.
When Zorba gave the recipe my husband said that it sounded good except for
the lentils which he thought are always too bland.  I wanted to prove him
wrong so spiced up the soup with Better than Bouillon.  We both thought
this tasted great.  Homemade bread and fresh pineapple and kiwi rounded out
the meal, and we have enough left over soup for two more meals.  (Half goes
into the freezer and the other half will be our dinner tomorrow night.)

*  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                           Spinach-Lentil Soup

Recipe By     : Zorba's Heart-Healthy Recipe of the Week, 2/97
Categories    : Soups & Stews

   6      Cups          Vegetable Broth (Ornish)
   1      Cup           lentils
   1      Tbsp          cooking wine
   1 1/2  Large         onions -- diced
   1      Small         green bell pepper -- diced
   1      each          celery stalk -- diced
   8      ounces        tomato sauce
     1/2  Cup           salsa
   2      tablespoons   Better than Bouillon
  10      ounces        frozen chopped spinach
                        thawed out and drained

(Modified from the original.)
In large saucepan, bring 5 cups broth and lentils to a boil. Simmer 30
minutes.
In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, bell pepper
and celery until tender. Add to saucepan.
Add tomato sauce and salsa. Blend well. Simmer 30 minutes. If necessary,
thin out soup with remaining broth.
Add spinach and stir. Simmer 2 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Serves 6.
Zorba's Heart-Healthy Recipe of the Week, 2/97
www.wpr.org
226 calories, 2.4g fat, 45g carb, 18g fiber, 14g protein