Taco Lentils Recipe

I have had several requests for the Taco Lentils recipe that I said was
in the archives. I guess I should have checked before I spoke! Here's the
recipe for anyone who's interested. It was originally contributed to the
list by Ann Miner (thanks, Ann!). This recipe is modified to my own
specifications from her original.

TACO LENTILS

2 1/3 cups green lengils - rinsed
5 cups water
4 oz. can of chopped green chilis
16 ounces tomato sauce
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 garlic cloves - minced
1 package taco seasoning (or about 4 tablespoons of bulk taco seasoning)
2 tablespoons chopped onion

Add lentils to water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes or until
tender, but whole.

When lentils are done, add the rest of the ingredients and stir to mix
thoroughly. Pour into a baking dish (a large pyrex lasagna pan is about
the right size). Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

These are great in tacos, burritos, or taco salad. The texture is pretty
similar to SAD taco meat, so it's a good substitution when you want
something besides refried beans and rice.

Enjoy!

Julie in San Jose