Small metric measures

Rosemary <Rcaap@xxxxxxx> said:

: I need help with finding a way to measure *liquid* ingredients in
: fairly small amounts, preferably in milliliters [...]

and RH Cox <LowT@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> As an approximation, you can use 1 teaspoon per 3 millimetres of
> liquid.  It is a very course conversion, but should work for most
> purposes.

1 teaspoon per 5 millilitres (ml) would probably be closer. But don't
forget that the size of a teaspoon can vary. I just checked, and out
of the 4 clean teaspoons in my kitchen right now, one holds exactly
the same amount of water as my 5ml measure, and the other three hold
very slightly less. [I dried the 5ml measure between experiments, and I
tried to control for surface tension as well.]

For larger measures, 1 tbsp is about 15ml (or apparently 20ml in
Australian recipes - I read this in some cookbook, not from personal
experience). Tablespoon sizes are likely to vary even more than
teaspoons.

I'd suggest trying to get hold of some metric measuring spoons from a
friend in Britain or a catalogue company. I bought mine for 1.50
sterling (about 2 dollars 50) for 15ml, 5ml, 2.5ml and 1.25ml spoons.
[Rosemary, get in touch after the New Year if you don't know anyone
else who could do this for you and I'll have a look if the shop still
sells them].

Hope this helps.

Kate
--