RE: espresso coffee

Leah is quite right about being able to get good-tasting results from small, stove-top espresso pots. I've used one for years with very satisfying results while camping. However, it is much more difficult to control quality using this method - hard to get that nice aromatic crema if you like your shot straight, and you have to carefully supervise the amount of heat and time you give the process. As for Martha Stewart's television coffee experts  - I was initially spoiled by an extended stay in France and Italy when I didn't have a bad cup in six weeks. When I came back from a second visit, I had to buy a machine - couldn't stand the local stuff anymore, even when I brewed it myself. I would suggest that the little pots are still used in Italy the way we still have cheap stove-top perks for sale at Wal-Mart - every cafe, bar, or middle-class home that I saw in the Northern Mediterranean area used some sort of machine.

	David Dornian
	ddornian@xxxxxxx