Expresso Coffee

Hello List Members,
  Thank you for all your wonderful recipes and advice! I would
appreciate
more of your ideas....
  What exactly is expresso coffee?   My understanding is that it is very
strongly brewed coffee....is this true?  Is it possible to make it, or a
facsimile, without an expresso machine?
  Does anyone have any recipes for fancy coffee drinks that would be
vegan and lower calorie?
  My husband loves these drinks, but they are $3-4 each at the coffee
stands and full of cream and sugar/syrups. I'de be very pleased to find
a way to imitate the coffee drinks at home in a healthier manner,
especially for the holidays.
  Many thanks.
Nancy Wahaus