African Vegetable Stew

Being from Africa, I couldn't resist this traditional recipe, and
herewith pass it on, especially to those of you up north, who are in
need of good hot food! We are living on salads with temps soaring to
35 deg C and above!

 3 or 4 Kohlrabies, peeled, chunks**
      1 large Onion, chopped (couple of seconds in the food processor!)
      2    Sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks
      2    Zucchini, sliced thick
      5    Fresh tomatoes (16 oz can)
     15 oz Can garbanzo beans & liquid (chick peas)
    1/2 cup  Couscous or bulgar wheat
    1/4 cup  Raisins (sounds wierd, but really tastes good!)
      1 ts Ground coriander
    1/2 ts Ground turmeric
    1/2 ts Ground cinnamon
    1/2 ts Ground ginger
     14 ts Ground cumin
      3 cups  Water
** Parsnips may be substituted for the kohlrabi.

  Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan.  Bring to a boil,
  lower the heat, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 30
  minutes.

If you wish, cook the couscous seperately and serve the stew with it.
Also good served with mashed potato, brown or wild rice, small shell
noodles etc.

Fran Watts
Ballito, South Africa
fran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you want attract your children's attention,
get comfortable!