Injera

Hi!

I noticed a web site with the Injera recipe and checked it out.

I have copied it here for your convenmience.

This one looks AUTHENTIC -- not as Americanized as the one I posted
yesterday. I would recommend trying this one instead!!!

*****************************

INJERA
Yields 10 to 12 injeras

3/4 cup teff, ground fine (this may be done either in a flour mill or in
a blender)
salt
sunflower or other vegetable oil

Mix ground teff with 3 1/2 cups water and let stand in a bowl covered
with a dish towel, at room temperature, until it bubbles and has turned
sour. (This may take as long as 3 days. (The fermenting mixture should
be the consistency of pancake batter.)

Stir in salt, a little at a time, until you can barely detect the taste.

Lightly oil an 8- or 9-inch skillet (or a larger one if you like). Heat
over medium heat.  Then proceed as you would with a normal pancake or
crepe.

Pour in enough batter to cover the bottom of the skillet. About 1/4 cup
will make a thin pancake covering the surface of an 8-inch skillet if
you spread the batter around immediately by turning and rotating the
skillet in the air. This is the classic French method for very thin
crepes. (Injera is not supposed to be paper thin so you should use a bit
more batter than you would for crepes, but less than you would for a
flapjack.)

Cook briefly, until holes form in the injera and the edges lift from the
pan. Remove and let cool.

NOTES:
Teff is the staple grain of Ethiopia.  The grain yields a seed much
smaller than the size of a wheat grain, but is the basis of Ethiopian
traditional cookery.  Teff flour is the main ingredient of the
pleasantly sour pancakelike bread known as injera, which literally
underlies every Ethiopian meal.

To set an Ethiopian table, one lays down a circular injera on top of
which the other food is arrayed, directly, without any plate.  Other
injeras are served on the side and torn into pieces to be used as
grabbers for the food on the "tablecloth" injera.  Eventually, after the
meal is finished, you eat the tablecloth, a delicious repository of the
juices from the food that has been resting on it.

Nutrition-minded Americans have turned to teff as a source of calcium,
fiber, and protein.  It is also an alternative grain for people allergic
to the gluten in wheat.  It has an appealing, sweet, molasses-like
flavor, and it boils up into a gelatinous porridge.