Miso Potatoes and Mushrooms Au Gratin

Hi!  This is from the July issue of "Veggie Life."  It's wonderful!

Miso Potatoes and Mushrooms Au Gratin

3 medium russet potatoes
6 oz. mushrooms, sliced
4 scallions, chopped
1/4 c. white miso
1 1/2 c. soy milk or skim milk
3 T. unbleached white flour
Salt & pepper
2 T. bread crumbs
Cooking spray

Put a large pot of water on to boil.  Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch
cubes.  Add to the water and cook until tender, about 8 minutes.  Drain
well.

Over medium heat, saute mushrooms (they used 2 T. (gasp!) oil, I used
Pam) until they begin to release their juices.  Add scallions, raise
heat to medium-high and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until
liquid has evaporated.  Remove from heat and add to the potatoes.

Preheat oven to 375 and lightly spray a 6-cup baking dish.

In a blender (I just used a whisk & bowl- I hate washing the blender!),
combine miso, 1/2 c. milk and flour.  Blend until smooth.  Add remaining
milk and blend until combined.

Pour mixture into a medium sauce pan and cook over medium heat, stirring
constantly, until mixture is thickend and just beginning to boil, about
4 minutes.

Pour miso white sauce over potatoes and mushrooms and toss gently to
coat.  Season to taste with salt and pepper and transfer to prepared
baking dish.  Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top and bake until hot and
crumbs are golden, 15 to 20 minutes.

Makes 6 servings.  Per serving (w/the oil):  180 cal. (26% fat), 4 g.
prot., 5.4g fat, 28g carb., 448 mg. sodium, 0 mg. chol., 0 g. fiber

Are the different colored misos (misi?) interchangable?  This was my
first time using it, and it was just unbelievable!  At first I thought
the price was rather high ($3.99 for about 2 cups), but it's definitely
worth it!

Liz
Cool & over-cast Akron, OH