Re: FATFREE Digest V97 #170

>Has anyone had any luck doing McDougall part-time?  Here is my
>problem:  I feel that his way of eating is great, but it is a bit
>too stringent for me. (BTW, I read the book.  But I want to know if
>there are any "real people" with success on a part-time McD
>program.)  I miss comfort foods like tortillas and pasta.  However,
>I have about 25lbs to lose.  So I really want to make an effort.  I
>was thinking of doing it all week, but giving myself one lunch and
>one dinner on the weekend to "splurge" on non-McD items (I'm not
>talking fetuccini alfredo here, but a low-fat quesadilla). Can
>anyone offer any advice?

I have been on the McDougall "diet" for about a week now, so I am
still pretty green, but my attitude is similar to yours.  I initially
read the Maximum Weight Loss and kind of freaked out with the
strictness of it, though I really was interested in much of what he
said.  So, I started reading the 12-day plan, and am finding
that it provides me just enough extra leniacy to remain satisfied
(i.e., whole grain breads, whole grain pastas, and more fruits)....I
also "sneak" in a little skim milk every morning for my cereal.  I
have about 15 pounds that I want to lose, and thus far, I have lost
about 3....I figure in a week that's pretty good!  So, that's where I
am at.

I am not an expert, but as McDougall says, it is important to not
starve yourself, or put yourself in a position where you are
"denying" yourself food in order to lose weight because this will
just leave you unsatiated and more willing to go off of the diet for
a worse binge than a tortilla or pasta.  I can't imagine that adding
a whole wheat tortilla, or whole wheat (or spinich or tomato) pasta
to your diet every now and then is not going to hurt.  But, that's my
opinion, and I am just feeling quite happy after a successful
week! ; )

Michelle