Tightwad Burgers (was Re: cheaper VLF)

Cynthia mentioned the Tightwad Gazette, which brought to mind the following
recipe.

Tightwad Lentil Burgers
2 c. lentil-bulgur mixture (equal parts)
2 c. bread crumbs
1 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
4 T. mixed Italian herbs
4 cloves garlic (or 4 t. powdered garlic)
2 T. soy flour mixed with 2 T. water
1/2 c. milk (skim, rice or soy)

Mix the first six ingredients.  Mix in soy flour/water mixture.  Add milk
and mix well.  Chill 1/2 hour.  Make into patties and fry 10 minutes per
side, or bake on cookie sheet at 350 degrees, 10 minutes on each side.

Notes:
1.  The lentil-bulgur mixture is simply equal parts lentils and bulgur
cooked together.  I usually make a large amount and freeze in 2 cup
portions.
2.  You can, of course, use any seasonings you like.
3.  The author doesn't say how big to make the burgers -- I like them kind
of small and fairly thin and get about a dozen.

Debbie in Iowa City
dcowherd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx