Falafil Mix

You really don't need to "deep fat fry" Falafil Mix.

I use a GOOD non stick pan, either dry or with a short non-stick spray,
and the small patties (not balls) cook up just fine. Yes the taste is
slightly different, but it is excellent in itself.

Another technique I use is the American Harvester Cyclone Oven. [Don't
go out to buy one just for this -- it is over-priced but still it is
and EXCELLENT piece of kitchen equipment.] I either place the patties
on the non-stick bottom or sometimes on the rack.  This is very quick
and provides you with an even color that the fry pan may not allow.

Still more hints.  If you ever have the opportunity to pick up a
Falafil patty maker -- do so -- pick up two while your at it, one for
a friend who, once seeing yours, will want one two.  These stainless
steel devices are very cheap and are worth more than their price.
I paid $8.00 for mine but I am sure they can purchased for even less --
but it was for charity, so what the hey!

The one I have is brand named "itali" and the rest of the package is
written in a Middle Eastern language. The best place
to look for one would be a a Middle Eastern bazaar held at an ethnic
church in your area. I paid $8.00 for mine but I am sure they can
purchased for even less -- but it was for charity, so what the hey!

It's a spring levered device that allows you to spoon your Falafil
into a well that is produced when you pull a lever. You pack the well,
release the lever and spatula the patty off on to the pan, or wax paper.

It gives you even patties of just the right size.

Lastly, don't forget that Fantastic Foods has "bulk" Falafil mix
which is way, way, way cheaper than their boxed variety.  Check your
Health Food Store.

Gary Hayman
http://www.nmaa.org/member/ghayman