Baked Portobellos Romanesque

I attempted to post this earlier in the week, but didn't see it come
across the digest, so here goes again.  We've been experimenting
with using portobello mushrooms in place of chicken since I have
so many SAD cookbooks.  Here's our latest creation, based on
recipe #320 in "365 Ways to Cook Chicken".

Baked Portobellos Romanesque
serves 4, recipes halves nicely to serve 2

8 ounces portobello mushrooms
1/2 pound spaghetti
salt and pepper
1/2 cup favorite broth
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped red pepper or eggplant, or 1/2 cup each
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoon fresh minced parsley
1 can (16 ounces) tomato sauce
1 teaspoon vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup grated fatfree Parmesan cheese (very optional)

Preheat oven to broil.  Bring a large pot of water to boil.  Clean
mushrooms, season with salt and pepper,  and broil for a few
minutes on both sides.  Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling water
til al dente.  Cut the warm mushrooms into long strips about
1/2 inch wide.  Drain pasta, place in a casserole dish lightly
sprayed with Pam, and top with mushrooms.  Decrease oven
temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Bring broth to boil in frying pan.  "Saute" onions, garlic, parley,
and peppers/eggplant in broth for about five minutes.  Add tomato
sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and oregano and cook one more
minute.  Pour over pasta and mushrooms.  Sprinkle with cheese,
if using.

Cover and bake for about 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

Kim Allen