Oatmeal Cookies

Several weeks ago I got a recipe for oatmeal cookies from the list (can't
remember who posted it), and recently tried them.  I'd like to repeat the
recipe here, as I modified it to replace one ingredient, which was Apple Butter.

OATMEAL COOKIES

1 C whole wheat flour
1.5 C rolled oats
0.5 C sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 C apple sauce
1/2 tsp cinnamon
0.25 C + 2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla

Mix the above dry ingredients together, then the moist ingredients.  It will
be stiff!  Add 1/2 C raisens and distribute them in the mix.  Place on a
sprayed cookie sheet in walnut-sized balls pressed down with a fork.  Bake
at 325 degree oven for 9 min, let cool on the sheet 1 minute, then cool
longer on a rack.

I live in southern Mindanao (Philippines) so could not find apple butter,
which the original recipe calls for.  The apple sauce + cinnamon makes a
pretty good substitute. [it occurs to me that a *very* ripe bananna, mashed
up, would be an interesting variation to use instead of the apple sauce.]

The other thing I'd like to mention is that this recipe makes a very stiff
dough, the shape of which does not alter during the baking process.  So you
should make the cookies the shape and thickness you want them.  Watch them -
they can burn easily if left too long.

They are good - sort of like a granola bar, except no FAT.

Michael I. Kingery
P.O. Box 64
General Santos City
Philippines 9500