Puttanesca Sauce

Someone wanted a recipe for a LF puttanesca sauce.  I have not tried this
yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.  The recipe is the same as the
original (from Joie Warner's All the Best Pasta Sauces, definitely not a
LF cookbook!), except that I have substituted vinegar for the oil.

PUTTANESCA SAUCE

balsamic vinegar for sauteing
6 large garlic cloves, chopped
28-oz (796 ml) can tomatoes, undrained
12 Greek olives (Kalamata), pitted and chopped
2 Tbsp capers, drained
1/2 tsp hot red pepper flakes
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley, plus 2 Tbsp for garnish
grated FF Parmesan cheese

Heat vinegar in a medium, heavy, noncorrosive skillet.  Add garlic and
cook 2 minutes.  Ad tomatoes and liquid and cook 30 minutes, or until
sauce thickens slightly.

Just before pasta is ready, add remaining ingredients, then toos with hot
pasta.  Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.  Pass cheese and the
pepper mill.  Serves 4.  (Recommended pasta: 1/2 pound penne or
rigatoni.)

Do remember that the olives, an essential ingredient in puttanesca sauce,
are themselves very high in fat.  You could probably use fewer olives and
still call it puttanesca, but they and the red pepper are what *makes* it
puttanesca, as opposed to marinara, for instance.

--Ruth C. Hoffman    Lake Zurich, IL
ruthhoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes."     --Marcel Proust