Shiitake Mushrooms

For Susan (I tried to e-mail you, but it bounced):

  Here is a recipe I have used and it is excellent.  I have many more
untried recipes using shiitakes I can send separately:

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                Angel Hair Pasta with Onion-Mushroom Sauce - Adapted

Recipe By     : Prevention's Quick & Healthy Cooking
Categories    : Low-Fat                          Pasta

   1 1/2  cups           broth
   1      ounce         dried cepe mushrooms -- *
     1/2  ounce         dried shiitake mushrooms
   2      cups          fresh white button mushrooms -- thinly sliced
   1      cup           chopped red onions
   2                       garlic  cloves -- minced
   1      tablespoon    snipped fresh thyme
                        - or 1 t. dried
   1      tablespoon    grated lemon peel
   8      ounces        angel hair pasta -- cooked

*  aka porcini mushrooms
   In a 2-quart saucepan, bring the broth, cepes and shiitakes to a
boil over medium-high heat.  Remove the pan from the heat and let the
mixture stand for 20 minutes.
   Spray a 3-quart saucepan with cooking spray.  Add the button
mushrooms, onions and garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, until the
onions are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
   Drain the cepes and shiitakes, reserving the liquid.  Add the
drained mushrooms to the onion mixture and cook, stirring frequently,
until they are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
   Stir in the reserved liquid, thyme and lemon peel; cook for 2
minutes.  Spoon over the hot pasta and toss.  Servings:  4.
   Variation:  Substitute spaghetti for the angel hair pasta.

               Ann Miner
               Moderator
               Rec.food.recipes