Pinto Beans ("Refried" Beans)

Can you all stand another bean recipe?  We are not native Texans, but we
love pinto beans and Tex-Mex cuisine, and this is the easiest and best
no-fat bean recipe I've tried.

Crockpot "Refried" Beans

1 lb pinto beans, washed (no need to soak)
6-8 cups of water (I use bottled spring)
3-4 large cloves of garlic, peeled and split into several slivers
6 inch strip of kombu (sea vegetable)
salt

Place washed beans in crockpot with 6 cups of water, garlic and kombu.  Cook
on high for 6-8 hours, adding extra water (if the beans look too dry) and
stirring from time to time.  Mash with potato masher after about 8 hours and
season to taste with salt or Fiesta brand "pinto bean seasoning".

The garlic and kombu cook down completely and along with the seasoning make
this a very flavorful dish.

This salsa recipe is from a local grocery store's (HEB) newspaper ad.
Grilling the poblano peppers gives it a nice smoky flavor. (If you would
like directions on grilling the peppers email me, I don't want this to get
much longer).

Grilled Chile Salsa

3 large tomatoes, diced
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 poblano peppers, grilled and chopped
1 tsp. minced garlic

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Refrigerate for 1 hour to blend flavors. Serve with your favorite Tex-Mex
dish. (We layer "refried" beans between 2 low fat flour tortillas and a
little FF or LF cheese, top with salsa and cut into triangles for a great
quesadilla).

Sandee Ritter
San Antonio
adritter@xxxxxxxxxxxx