squash varieties

Diana, I don't like some varieties of squash, so maybe that's the problem.
 Of the ordinary supermarket types, I like ButterCUP best.  It's roundish,
dark green, and has a belly button.  Butternut, the oblong tan kind with a
bulb at one end, is my next pick.  If you have a good source of produce,
however, try to find some Delicata or Sweet Dumpling squash, little things
that are essentially one serving.  Yum.   I don't like nutmeg, sugar, or
anything adulterating my squash, so I usually puncture the whole squash,
nuke until the skin is soft enough to slice in half, then bake cut side
down in a 1/4 inch of water in the oven at 350 until it is nice and soft.
 I use the water because I overbake by most people's standards, I like
squash to be soft and, well, squashy.  You can just cook it completely in
the microwave, too, though you lose a little flavor.   Squash does well
with a contrasting flavor, I like wild rice with it.

Anne Cox
Incidentally, I'm looking for native food plants (Northeast U.S.) for next
year's garden, if anyone has suggestions or sources.