Re: Canning

Hi Gloria and folks on the list:

I just started canning about two years ago and I have found the Ball
canning book (from the Ball jar folks) to be very helpful. Can't remember
the exact name of the book (it's at home--if you would like the exact title
and ISDN let me know and I would be happy to send it to you later), but you
should be able to find it near the canning supplies in a good hardware
store. Canning is great, but you need to pay *careful attention* to the
procedures to make sure the containers reach the proper temperature and
seal to keep the bacteria out. Some foods need to be canned under pressure
rather than in a water bath, so be sure to get a good canning book to help
you.

To me, canning is a lot of fun and it makes me feel really good to see the
results of my hard work on the shelf. This time of year I can pumpkin
butter and apple butter to give away in gift baskets during the holidays.

Have fun!

Bethann
In cool, colorful North Carolina!

Bethann D. Watson