Re: Yogurt Cheese - FATFREE Digest #215

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996 Julie Gettys wrote:

> Help!!!!!  I made yogurt cheese and the texture is great, but
> it is so tart, it tastes almost sour.  I added from herbs, which didn't
> help, then I added a little sweetner and yuk!  Now it's sweet.  Does
> anyone know what to do to smooth out the taste?
>
> Thanks,  Julie G.      Fryin' in Fresno

Julie,

I now condense three-four quarts of non-fat yogurt per week into yogurt
cheese and I use it as my spread of choice.  When I first started doing
this I found that the Dannon yogurt we normally used had too sharp a
taste.  I began trying other brands of yogurt (making certain that they
were active cultures made with Acidophilus or some other bacterial
strain) and I finally settled on the Axelrod brand sold at Albertsons
here in Florida.  It produces a solid and smooth tasting cheese after it
has been drained.  If you experiment with several brands (you may need to
go to a market other than the one at which you normally shop), I'm sure
you will find a yogurt that meets your taste requirements.

Peter