Mole' (recipe)

Zoe Sodja" (zoe_sodja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) asked:
> I was wondering whether anyone has a recipe for a mole sauce?

About a year or two ago there was a thread on mole' here on Fatfree.
I think there's a low fat recipe in the archives. I recently ran
across another mole' recipe in "Cooking with Gluten and Seitan" by
Dorothy R. Bates and Colby Wingate. I haven't tried it, but will
share it anyway.

Mole' Seitan (modified from original recipe to be low fat)

2 C seitan at room temperature, thinly sliced
1 medium onion
3 jalapeno peppers, cut up
1 can (15 oz) tomoato puree or stewed tomatoes
1 C vegetable stock
1/2 t garlic powder
1/4 t allspice
1/4 t cinnamon
1 (1 oz) square unsweetened chocolate
1 flour tortilla, torn in one inch pieces
Saute onion and jalapenos until soft, add stock, tomato, dry spices.
When simmering add chocolate square and tortilla pieces (which will
dissolve and thicken sauce). When chocolate has melted, blend or
process until smooth. Return to pan, add seitan. Cooked vegetables
could used instead of or in addition to seitan.

If anyone makes this, please let us know how it came out. This
type of Mexican mole' is a wonderful combination of tastes and
aromas, both subtle and exciting when blended, a unique culinary
experience. To set the record straight, "mole'" means sauce, so
the term can be used in many ways in Spanish. This particular style
of mole' is part of a traditional regional Mexican cuisine, but is
ordinarily made with lard and is very high fat.

Neal Pincknmey <> Healing Heart Foundation <> Makaha, Hawaii <> AH6HM
AT&F2&XK4V0E0&D2S0=0S7=45S109=62+FAE=3
AT &F2 S109=62