Re: Query about Bengal gram dal

>Bengal gram dal is channa dal.  Channa = chickpeas.  The chickpeas are
>broken to make dal.  Channa is also ground into flour and used in Indian
>sweets, as a gravy with vegetables, and to make savories.  We get two kinds
>of chickpeas in India -- the larger, paler ones are, I think, the same as
>American chickpeas, and are called Kabuli channa.  The smaller, brown ones
>are sometimes called Bengal gram.  But the flavour is similar enough that
>you could interchange them pretty readily.

Nancy,

Can most of the dals be used interchangeably? While at an Indian grocery
store, I purchased in bulk a variety of dals: urid, moong, toor, channa,
etc. Yet I still don't have all of the dals that are mentioned in my
cookbooks. Do you think I may safely substitute one for another?

Also I purchased some delicious roasted dhanna dal. I understand it is used
as is mainly to clear the palate and to freshen the breath. Do you know if
it is ever used in cooking? If so, how?

Regards and thanks,

Sherry Rose in Orygun

--
Sherry Rose                can you find the goat in this picture? ~>
sherry@xxxxxxxxx       http://home.aol.com/Sherry4803